What are custom user properties ?
Aside from what UXCam automatically captures, you can enrich your behavioral and user data thanks to custom User properties. You can send up to 100 additional user properties you might have such as age, gender, or loyalty status.
Sending additional user properties will help you:
- Have a deeper understanding of your users, create segments within UXCam, and discover how behavior changes between different audiences.
- Segment your users just like you do internally.
- Easily identify your users with a unique User ID to pinpoint their issues and provide better support.
Ask your engineers to check out the instructions on sending custom user properties here.
Auto capture user properties vs. Custom user properties ?
UXCam provides the following user data automatically set by our API, anything that is not captured automatically are custom properties. Below is data UXCam captures by default.
- User properties: Pieces of information associated with users which UXCam captures automatically such as user's location, first seen, last seen.
- Device properties : Data concerning the device such as device manufacturer, name, model, app version, device class..
- Engagement properties : Data concerning user engagement such as the number of events user performed, time spent in app..
Defining custom user properties & ideas
If you're not sending over any user properties, you should firstly map all of them and then ask your engineers to send them to UXCam following the instructions here.
We have created a complete guide with more than 30 user property ideas for finance apps and e-commerce apps. If you have an e commerce or finance app, make sure to have a look and use this spreadsheet to choose those what matter to your app, make changes, and send it over to your engineers! You can also find pdf versions at the end of the article.
Below is a generic table with some user property ideas that can be applicable to everyone!
We recommend not sending PII data, such as email address orphone number, and instead, send your own unique User ID to UXCam. However, if you do need to send PII data, you will need to sign a DPA agreement with us. Please contact email@example.com to discuss it.